There is a far more important question though. Once the proposal is passed, what criteria will be used to determine if the school board will ‘definitely’ boycott when the day of testing comes? We already know they are ‘seriously considering’ it, but what factors will be examined to determine if they will actually boycott or not? Here is a brief list of things that may be considered:
1. How many other school boards across the state are considering boycott? There is strength in numbers. If 50 other school boards are also ‘seriously considering’ boycott when test day arrives, then I think this would make it much easier for Ken-Ton to follow through on the boycott.
2. What will research reveal about possible negative ramifications from boycotting? If research shows that there are limited ramifications then I think the district will be very likely to follow through on the boycott. I recently talked with the NYS Education Department about this, and they could not give me a definite answer on possible negative ramifications. They are in the process of compiling information for me. These details are something that I’m sure the district will be looking at more thoroughly.
3. How many opt-outs are expected in the district? It is likely that there will be a VERY high percentage of Ken-Ton parents refusing to allow their children to participate in these tests regardless of what the Ken-Ton school board decides to do. If that number is high enough, then parental opt-out will serve as the means of boycott and the school district will not have to proceed with a district boycott. This would eliminate the possibility of negative consequences as it has been confirmed that there is NO funding lost for parental boycott.
4. What about community input? Since the board has already been 'seriously considering' boycott for some time, it reasonably follows that community input and the democratic process will be used more heavily in making the 'final decision' about the boycott. Make sure to attend the meeting on March 24 so that your input is considered.
Please attend the meeting to witness this historic vote on Tuesday, March 24 at 6:30pm at the auditorium in Kenmore West HS. As I mentioned, if there is overwhelming support from the community, I believe that this will be a unanimous "YES" vote. YOUR ATTENDANCE IS CRITICAL TO MAKING THIS WORK!!! Thank you all for your support.